My shed was built 17 years ago and it was always my intention to make it a fun and pretty place to play. But life got in the way on numerous occasions, mostly in the form of my daughter moving back home and using the shed to store all of her furniture. Usually when she moved out, some things were left behind, because Mom had more storage room than she did.
It seems every summer, the goal has been to finish the shed. That was one of last summer’s goals, but an unexpected surgery put an end to those plans. So this spring, after I finished the new side gate and fence, I decided to tackle the shed. Although it didn’t have any furniture in it, it had become a place to gather miscellaneous junk. You can even see the little stool lying in the pile.
So, the first call to order, was just to remove everything, or as much as I could. The rest of the things were moved to one side so I could start working in one area.
The first thing I did was wash the wall to wall shelves I had built in there some years ago, They were covered in a 1/16-inch layer of fine dust from when the chickens had lived in the attached green house. Then everything was painted white and items replaced on the shelves. The top of the walls were painted in the same color as my wooden gates, but the color looks so much darker because it is so dark in the shed.
Once finished with the shelves, I started in one corner and worked my way around the shed, moving the junk in the middle as I went. The pictures in this post are not the best because the room is so small and dark, and don’t come close to doing it justice.
Between each stud, I glued cut sheets of hard beadboard to the wall, topped with a piece of trim, and then painted the wall green above.
On the dividing trim pieces I attached a different style wrought iron hook.
Every section completed was incentive to keep moving my way around the room.
Some sections went quicker than others because accumulations of stuff had to be moved and find a new place to land. Mice had moved into this corner and had made themselves a comfy home behind stacks of extra wood, as evidenced by the stains in the corner. It’s looking much cleaner now.
The other side of the front door is the perfect place to store my outside table chairs, where they are kept clean and handy.
My original goal 17 years ago was to make this a grownup playhouse. But now, it is simply to make it an area to store all things garden related, keep it simple, and keep it clean.
Although the glare and darkness makes it difficult to see, cabinet doors, bought years ago at a flea market, were finally painted and installed below the shelves to store unsightly things. Bins I’ve had were put into use to store potting soil, sand, peat moss, etc.
The side of the shed that is attached to what was once a greenhouse, has a set of French doors. I decided to paint them the same green and it really set them off to become a nice feature in the room.
The ceiling and floor are still in their rough, original state, and will most likely be worked on next year. For now, the floor and ceiling will have to stay as they are, because I’ve had to move on to the huge job of replacing my deck.
It is a huge relief finally, after 17 years, to see it in the condition I had imagined it in my mind so many years ago. It has come a long way during the month of June, and when I walk into it, I finally smile, instead of cringe.
Little useful items have found their home here, including the little stool.
It is a room with a view looking out over my gardens. And sometimes, when the skies actually bless us with rain, I like to pull up one of the chairs from the corner and just sit, watch, and listen to it fall. It is such a peaceful place to be.
My garden shed smiles, as it has finally grown into its intended potential.